The Prison Arts Program promotes self-examination and self-esteem in Connecticut inmates through participation in visual arts classes, exhibitions and publications, and brings the talent and creativity of the prison population to the community at large.
The Prison Arts Program provides classes and projects, as well as publication and exhibition opportunities, to people incarcerated in several of Connecticut’s correctional facilities. We believe that the arts are a vital tool in aiding inmates to use their sentenced time constructively by provoking them to develop their self-discipline, self-esteem, work ethic, and interpersonal and communication skills while they examine their lives and the actions which led to their incarceration.
“We provide classes and projects devoted to provoking inmates to begin to understand themselves and how to effectively express their thoughts and emotions.
Our role is to be a motivator, and we target those inmates who wish to truly understand the process of learning and self criticism and who will continue to grow as artists and as human beings.”
— Jeffrey Greene, Program Manager
Prison Arts Program ExhibitionsClick here to view photo galleries of past exhibitions and events featuring works from the Prison Arts Program
The Prison Arts Program relies primarily on private giving.
These are a few examples of how your donation can make a difference:
• $125 will provide an instructor and teaching supplies for one class in a 10-session workshop.
• $75 will provide art materials for one inmate for an entire 10-session workshop.
• $25 will print and ship five Prison Arts Program Journals to a public library or school.
• $15 will ship artwork from an inmate to a loved one at the conclusion of an exhibition.
• Larger donations will support our traveling exhibitions throughout the country.
To make an in-kind donation, or to underwrite the annual Journal or a traveling exhibition, please contact Jeff Greene via e-mail or at (860) 722-9450.
110 Bartholomew Ave., Suite 3010
Hartford, CT 06106
Tel: (860) 722-9450